Using Recycled Oyster Shell to Restore Tampa Bay
Restoring and maintaining Oyster shorelines are imperative to keeping Tampa Bay healthy. AquaTech Eco Consultants will be using your used oyster shell to create more oysters, improving the health and water quality of the Bay area.
Why do we need oyster shorelines?
- Oyster shorelines or "reefs" hold onto sand and sediment, slowing down erosion from waves and providing protection from storm surge during hurricanes
- Oysters are amazing water filters.
- One adult oyster can filter up to 50 gallons of water per day, improving water quality and visibility. More oysters equals better water
- Oyster shorelines create great habitat for other fish and animals.
- Having oyster shorelines improves fishing in the bay
How can you help?
Enjoy oysters and then offer your used shells for restoration. Used Oyster shell will be sanitized by the sun for a period of 6 months and then returned to local waters to establish new oyster growth